Sunday, January 7, 2018

A little help from my friends

Our amazing neighbor has been bringing dinner to us on my days of chemo injections. What is extra super awesome is that she cooks really well (nutritious and delicious!), and she brought extra meals to help us through the week and for the freezer. She could not have given a better gift.

Also helpful have been the playdates and friends knocking on the door that get Calvin out of the house and moving around. I don't have much energy to participate in games or come up with projects, so inevitably Calvin settles down to a book or video game or restless boredom. Getting him out to play makes us all feel better.

Calvin has also been extra sweet with the kisses and hugs and "giving" me extra attention, which really is a need for attention from me, haha. But I am happy to have cuddle time. And I enjoy helping to get him to bed as it mostly just involves reading our own books side-by-side in his bed for a while before tucking him in and turning off the lights. And then bedtime for me too.

Mom hopped on a plane the day after we told them my diagnosis to help me with the first week of appointments, testing, waiting and worrying. Friends and family have, and will continue to, come in and out of town over the course of this disease, helping us with childcare, dishes, meals, doctors appointments, etc. And through it all, Bryan has been there - taking days off work, going to appointments with me, helping pick up the slack when I don't have the energy to do it, taking over my responsibilities to let me sleep in and nap and go to bed early. He is there to hold me when I'm sad and when I am cold and when I'm just plain blah.

Finally, our cats have some magical 6th sense that detects when I'm full of poison and needing extra love. Maybe they can smell it, or maybe I glow, haha. Perigee (the gray cat in the pictures below) follows me everwhere and cuddles up extra close at every opportunity.
Perigee curled up on top of me, as close to my face as possible, when I laid down for a nap on the couch on the first day after my first chemo treatment. So sweet, but a little hard to breathe.

I now exist in pajamas and cat fur.

Feeling better at the end of the first week, but still needing lots of kitty cuddles.

No comments:

Post a Comment